We had the idea to pick up a camper and do a road trip to Portugal, via France and Spain, to meet our friends Raquel and Miguel (@explorerssaurus_)
We've never been to Portugal before and we already have our eye on the perfect camper van for the trip! We started to wonder recently, can we actually road trip to Portugal right now, travelling through France and Spain from Germany, taking into account the COVID restrictions? So, we started to do some research and this is what we found out...
When travelling from Germany to France:
- They warn people of unnecessary travels to Ile-de-France, Provence-Alpes-Cote-d’Azur, Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes, Occitanie, Nouvelle-Aquitaine and Corse because of high infection rates
- No restrictions for entry and transit. When returning to Germany there’s a five-day quarantine obligation which ends with the receiving of a negative COVID test (starting from 1st of October). If you only enter France for transit without overnight stay the quarantine might be omitted
When travelling from France to Spain:
- No restrictions for travellers coming from France (neither for entry or transit)
- There might be a health check where they check your temperature
- A lot of the camping grounds are open
When travelling from Spain to Portugal:
- No restrictions for travellers coming from Spain
- You might have to provide information about your destination, reason for the trip and contact details (when you enter by plane the airline will keep your entry information card and they will check your temperature)
- Cafes, restaurants and bars have to close between 8 pm - 11 pm
- Maximum of four people per group can go to a restaurant, cafe or bar
- No alcoholic beverages in public areas
- Minimum distance of 2 metres to other people
- You have to wear a mask in stores and on public transportation
It seems that a road trip to Portugal is a real possibility, then a potential 5-day quarantine when we return to Germany. As long as these restrictions don't change within the next week we will start to plan for our trip going ahead!!
We can't wait to show you guys what possibilities are out there right now in terms of travel. We know that we are all restricted in different ways but that doesn't mean we give up hope and stop having fun.
We always get asked how we are able to afford travelling full time. Now it is our job and we can work from anywhere but in the beginning we travelled by saving in many different ways.
Road trips are our favourite trips and we are excited to take you guys with us on this next adventure. If you have done a road trip recently, we would love to hear about your experience and if any of you guys have questions or information regarding anything to do with our trip let us know. Please lets have a chat in the comment box below :)